What Teens Need to Know
When and where is The Princess Project?
The Princess Project holds its giveaway events each spring in preparation for prom season, usually in March or April. We have sites in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, San Diego, Los Angeles, and Silicon Valley. To receive regular updates on our annual giveaway, including dates, times and locations, register for our newsletter.
Are the dresses and accessories really free?
The Princess Project holds its giveaway events each spring in preparation for prom season, usually in March or April. We have sites in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, San Diego and Tracy. To receive regular updates on our annual giveaway, including dates, times and locations, register for our newsletter.
What Teen Organizations Need to Know
How can I schedule an advance appointment for a group of teens?
During our event season, groups of 10 or more teens accompanied by an adult chaperone can schedule an advance appointment for a private boutique night. Learn more on our locations’ pages.
How can my organization benefit from The Princess Project year-round?
The Princess Project is undertaking a new initiative to connect teens and volunteers with teen-serving organizations on a year-round basis. To find out more, please contact us.
What Donors Need to Know
Can I make a tax-deductible cash donation to The Princess Project?
Yes! The incredible success of The Princess Project is due to the generosity of people just like you. We are a 100% volunteer-run effort, and all gifts go toward The Princess Project Dress Giveaway events. Your donation may help pay for racks, dry cleaning, publicity materials or dresses sizes 0-2 or size 18+.
Please donate online or make your check payable to:
The Princess Project
P.O. Box 471045
San Francisco, CA 94147-1045
Thank you for considering supporting The Princess Project. You will receive a thank you letter shortly after making your donation, acknowledging receipt of your contribution for tax accounting purposes.
What garment donations are best for The Princess Project?
Due to space limitations, The Princess Project prefers for donations to be made during our event season—usually in February or March of each year. We also have several year-round drop-off locations. We accept new or nearly new formal gowns and accessories in excellent condition (including purses, jewelry, shawls and wraps) appropriate for high school teens to wear to prom. Find out more details on our Dresses and Accessories page.
If you represent a business seeking to make a major in-kind dress or accessory donation outside of February or March, please contact us for information.
How do I organize a dress drive?
Organize friends, colleagues or your volunteer group to gather their gorgeous gowns and sparkling tiaras to breathe new life into them and pass them along to The Princess Project and the teens we serve. Each year, we post a Do-It-Yourself Donation Drive Kit on our site during our event season. It outlines how to collect dresses and accessories for The Princess Project.
What Volunteers Need to Know
Do you need volunteers?
Year after year, volunteers are integral to the success of The Princess Project. Through our dress giveaway events and boutique nights in the Spring of each year, more than 600 volunteers help reach thousands of high school teens making their prom dreams become a reality. Learn more in the Volunteer section of our site.
How do I start a similar dress giveaway project in my community?
The Princess Project is incorporated and retains all rights to its name and logo. We do, however, welcome your inquiry to start new Princess Project chapters in your community. For more information, please contact us.
Have you been in the press?
Since 2002, The Princess Project has received coverage in the local media, including the San Francisco Chronicle, The Examiner, San Jose Mercury News, Oakland Tribune, San Francisco magazine, KMEL, KFOG, KITS, KYLD, KLLC, and features on Evening Magazine, KTVU, KGO, KRON, KNTV and KPIX news. The Princess Project also has garnered national media attention, including a feature on The Tyra Banks Show, coverage in Glamour, Lucky and Self magazines, television features in San Diego, Chicago and Houston, and a radio feature on NPR!
For media inquiries, please contact our PR team at email@example.com
Learn about The Princess Project:
- June 13, 2014: Fashionista.com blog post, “How Can I Re-use My Bridesmaid Dress?”
The Princess Project is voted San Francisco’s Favorite Charity!
- KRON4 news appearance
- Joanna August blog post
- SFGate.com blog post
- KTVU appearance
- PG&E website article
- 7×7 announcement
- NBC News San Diego : Dress Drive Promo
- UT Article San Diego
- KPBS/NPR radio & website article San Diego
- PSA for Coles Fine Flooring & Dress Drives 2014 San Diego
- KSON Radio PSA San Diego
- KIFM Radio PSA San Diego
Ongoing Radio/PSA Announcements –
- Clear Channel Radio | Community Calendars [dress drive]:
- 98.1 Kiss FM
- 106 KMEL
- Wild 94.9
- 103.9 FM
- Star 101.3
- 960 AM KNEW
- News Talk 910 AM KKSF
- CBS Radio: KCBS 106.9FM and 740AM, cbsSF.comCoast Radio (Oregon): KMUN 91.9FM, KTCB 89.5FM, KCBP 90.9FM
- KKIQ 101.7
- KISS FM 98.1 Renel & Christie in the Morning
- Clear Channel Radio | Community Calendars [dress giveaways]
- KCBS Radio, on-air interview
- March 8, 2013: Telemundo NBC-TV, interview with Laney & Tara
- March 8, 2013: KQED Radio, on-air interview
- March 9, 2013: KGO 810 AM, live interview with Tara
- March 9, 2013: ABC 7 (KGO-TV), on-site coverage, March 9 [also online]
- KTVU Channel 2, on-site coverage
- CBS5, on-site coverage
- March 13, 2013: KDTV Univision 14
- February 2012: 7×7’s Event Page [Taffeta Tea]
- February 2013: Diablo Magazine Online: What’s in Store
- February 11, 2013: San Rafael Patch
- February 13, 2013: Mill Valley Patch
- February 13, 2013: Clear Channel Community Affairs Show
- February 18, 2013: Sosh
- February 20, 2013: Refinery29 SF
- February 21, 2013: DailyCandy SF Weekend Guide
- February 21, 2013: Pleasanton Weekly
- February 22, 2013: San Bruno Patch
- February 24, 2013: San Ramon Express
- March 31, 2012: The Princess Project: Giving Out Free Prom Dresses and
Priceless Self-Confidence, The Five
- March 23, 2012: Have You Heard? Last Chance 4 Free Prom Dresses, 98.1 KISS FM
- March 22, 2012: Free Prom Dresses! Segment with Candice Harney, ABC 7Live
- March 20, 2012: Princess Project Makes Prom Possible, SFBay.ca
- March 18, 2012: Princess Project Makes Dreams Comes True
for Bay Area Teens, CBS5 (KPIX-TV), link to TV segment
- March 18, 2012: Reporter shot on location and aired on 5:00
news, KTVU FOX Channel 2
- March 17, 2012: Reporter shot on location and aired on evening news, KRON4 TV
- March 17, 2012: Non-Profit Gives Away Free Prom
Dresses, NBC Bay Area (KNTV-TV)
- March 17, 2012: Princess Project Gives Away Prom Dresses Today
& Next Weekend, Radio Alice 97.3
- March 16, 2012: The Princess Project, The Stampede (Monte Vista High School Newspaper)
- March 12, 2012: SF Events: This week in style, San Francisco Magazine online
- March 9, 2012: Giving Back: Elaine Richards of the Princess Project, Teen Vogue online
- March 1, 2012: Princess Project dress drive ends Saturday, SFGate Unzipped
- Ongoing during March 2012: Clear Channel Radio Stations 98.1 Kiss FM, 106.9 KMEL, WILD 94.9,
103.7, 101.3, 960 KNEW, News Talk 910, KKSF | On-air and included in online
community calendars | Dress giveaway event information
- February 28, 2012: Non-Profit Seeking Prom Dress Donations, Belmont Patch
- February 28, 2012: Non-Profit Seeking Prom Dress Donations, South San Francisco Patch
- February 27, 2012: Non-Profit Seeking Prom Dress Donations, Burlingame Patch
- February 17, 2012: Dig Up Your Prom Dress This Weekend — For A Good Cause!, Refinery 29
- February 2012: Promotion of Zion Lutheran Church & School’s participation in dress drive, Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon
- January/February 2012: A Dress to Remember, M Magazine
2011 Press and older
- December 2011: Donating to Charity: 31 Days of Giving, Glamour
- March 17, 2011: Princess Project Makes Prom Dreams Come True, Oakland North
- March 16, 2011: Pick of the Day, KGO-TV 7Live
- March 14, 2011: The Princess Project: Time, Talent and Taffeta, KGO-AM
- March 14, 2011: Princess Project Gives Away Prom Dresses, San Francisco Chronicle
- March 13, 2011: San Francisco’s Princess Project Keeps Helping Girls Enjoy High School Prom, The Examiner
- March 2, 2011: San Fran Nonprofit Hands Out Dream Dresses for Prom, Earth911.com
- February 21, 2011: Give or Get a Free Prom Dress, IHeartDaily.com
- January 31, 2011: Donate Your Dresses and More to the Princess Project, NBC’s The Feast
- January 26, 2011: The Gift of Gown: 2011 Princess Project Dress Drive, SF Indie Fashion
- January 25, 2011: Be a Teenage Dream: Donate a Dress to the Princess Project, 7×7.com
- March 26, 2010: Angela Pierce Wins 10News Leadership Award, ABC 10News San Diego
- March 26, 2010: ‘Fairy Godmothers’ Make Senior Prom a Reality for Disadvantaged Teen, San Diego News Network
- March 25, 2010: Princess Project Makes Prom a Reality, NBC San Diego
- February 16, 2010: Donate Your Formal Gowns for a Good Cause, The View from the Bay
- March 18, 2009: The Princess Promenade, East Bay Express
- March 11, 2009: Projects Make Prom a Reality for Underprivileged Teens, Contra Costa Times
- March 2009: Be a Fairy Godmother, Self Magazine
- February 4, 2009: Help Bay Area Teens Go to the Prom in Style, 7×7 Magazine
- February 2009: Weekend Guide, Daily Candy
- February 2009: The Princess Project Hosts Annual Drive to Collect Prom Dresses, KCBS
- November 19, 2008: Raising an Eco-Friendly Family, The Today Show
- April 6, 2008: Jefferson Award: The Princess Project, San Francisco Chronicle
- April 2008: Jefferson Award Winners: Laney Whitcanack & Kristi Smith Knutson, CBS5
- January 7, 2008: Katherine Heigl Partners Up with Palm, Crushable
- March 2007: Cinderella Story, 7×7 Magazine
- March/April 2007: Princess Project, Benefit Magazine
- May 9, 2006: Hey, Big Spender: 20 Things to Do With $20, Woman’s Day
- April 2006: Promzilla: Giving Back, Teen Vogue
- March 8, 2006: Coverage of “Tyra Banks Show” Appearance, San Francisco Chronicle
- March 11, 2005: Princess Project Seeks Dresses, San Francisco Chronicle
- March 28, 2004: Donated Prom Dresses Are Worthy of a Princess, San Francisco Chronicle
- February 28, 2003: Princess Project Seeks Prom Dress Donations, San Francisco Chronicle
- June 1, 2002: Free Prom Dresses, NPR Feature
- March 21, 2002: Cinderella II – Fit for a Princess, San Francisco Chronicle